Below you will find a list of online resources that have been curated to help elementary school students engage with learning outside of the classroom. Please browse through the list to see the extensive resources & tools that are available for free to complement in-class instruction in Math, Science, STEM, Social Studies, English Grammar, Reading, & ESL.
You may also visit the Metropolitan Library System website for more educational resources for children & families.
- Prodigy - Motivate 1st -8th graders to learn & practice math through interactive lessons/game-time.
- Khan Academy - Offers standard-aligned math practice lessons for K-12. Students learn at their own pace, filling in the gaps of their learning and then accelerating their learning.
- Multiplication.com - students can practice their basic math skills in a fun and engaging way on this math site for kids. There are additional resources available on the website for parents and teachers who want to help reinforce and teach skills.
- MathGameTime - Designed for students from pre-K through 7th grade, Math Game Time offers fun, educational games focused on critical math concepts.
- Math Playground- Offers games to play related to logic, number skills practice, geometry, algebra, probability, fractions & more. There are also math word problems and video instructions to help students remember how to solve them.
- MathTV - Over 10,000 math tutorial videos from basic math to Calculus
- Patrick JMT - Hundreds of video math tutorials from basic math to more advanced.
- PBS Math Club - Helps with math homework & makes you laugh (according to their website.) Lots of videos & "Instacram" short clips.
- Math Antics - Basic math videos and practice worksheets
- Between the Lions - Pre-K -1. The videos for preschoolers cover phonological awareness, letter knowledge awareness, vocabulary and language development, and even book and print awareness. The videos for K–1 students incorporate the basic building blocks of reading skills using phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and text comprehension. Good for ESL & ELL as well.
- WordWorld - Pre-K -1. Vocabulary building site for beginning readers covering early literacy, phonics, & vocabulary.
- Story Place - Pre-K-K. Read-along library, activities, & videos that focus on early literacy, book awareness, & vocabulary. Good for ESL & ELL as well.
- Starfall - Pre-K -3rd grade. No need to sign up/pay for access to most of the content. Emphasizes phonemic awareness, systematic sequential phonics, and common sight words in conjunction with audiovisual interactivity has proven effective in teaching emergent readers. Good for ESL & ELL as well.
- Storyline Online - K-3rd grade. Actors of all ages read more than 50 popular children's picture books. The narration is accompanied by illustrations from the book. Each book has accompanying lesson plan ideas and activities focusing on early literacy, book awareness, reading comprehension, & verbal and written language skills.
- ReadWriteThink - K-8. Offers lessons and interactive games for students of all ages who are learning reading and writing skills.
- ABCya - K-6. The preschool games mostly focus on the alphabet, while higher-level games delve into more advanced topics like contractions, nouns and verbs, past tense, homophones, and adverbs.
- Kids Read 2 Kids - Kids Read 2 Kids was founded by dyslexic and ADHD siblings to bring the joy & confidence back to the struggling reader. Provides free audio-books read by kids for kids - filmed chapter by chapter for easy listening. Offers corresponding lessons plans that consist of critical thinking questions, chapter recap quizzes, puzzles and more.
- Read Theory - K-12. Offers personalized reading comprehension exercises for K-12 and ESL students.
- Reading Rockets - Great resource for parents who need help & ideas for at-home reading instruction.
- Grammar Gold - Provides grammar practice for grades 1 to 5. Each of these lessons includes a quiz that students can take to test their grammar knowledge related to that lesson.
- Fun Brain Grammar Gorillas - Struggling with grammar? This site offers free interactive games for grammar content for grades 2-6.
- The Music Room - Offers easy-to-remember tunes that teach grammar concepts.
- Grammar Practice Park - Offers games to teach grammar concepts like for grades 3 - 5.
- Grammar Blast - Offers grade-level quizzes for grades 2-5 that mimic questions kids will encounter on standardized testing.
- Grammar Man - This site uses comics (in printed and movie form) to teach grammar concepts. There are some excellent printables on vocabulary and reading here as well.
- Science Kids - Fun games for kids whether you're interested in animals, plants, chemistry, biology, physics, space, magnets, electricity, forces, light, sounds, gases, or other science-related topics.
- Kids Ahead - The place to find the coolest science, technology, engineering, and math stuff for kids
- SciJinks - Educational website to teach kids about meteorology and earth science
- Science Bob - Videos, science Q & A, experiment ideas, & research help